Saturday 26 May 2007

Unscheduled stop: Overlander roadhouse

Sam said I'd get in trouble without her there to think for me and I'm in my first spot of bother already, only the 2nd day after reaching Australia! To be fair though it's not my fault and it's not serious bother.
I made it to my bus at East Perth station no worries this morning and have been fine for the first 11 hours of the bus journey. We got to the Overlander Roadhouse for a pitstop and a change of drivers and the new driver spots something up with my ticket. It turns out that my connecting bus from Minilya to Exmouth does not run on Saturday nights and the roadhouse there is closed too. Luckily he spoke up otherwise I would have been stuck up there at about midnight for 24 hours with nowhere to sleep. The travel agent in Perth should not have sold me the ticket, but also the Greyhound website he made the booking on should not have allowed him to book it. I'll have strong words with both tomorrow or Monday morning.
As a result I am at the lovely Overlander. To say this place is in the middle of nowhere is an understatement - it's in the middle of effing nowhere!! The nearest town is about 200k away. All we have here is the petrol station and minimart which shuts in a few hours. That's it. No houses, no pub, no corner shop, no tourist attractions, no nothing. Plus I have to check out at 10am and hang around watching the road-trains rumble past for 10 hours until the next Greyhound bus picks me up. Joy.
Mercifully they have (occasional) internet access, so at least I can fill an hour or two...as long as it keeps working.
In summary, I'm annoyed that I'll get to the coast and the reef a day later than planned. But this is one of the twists and turns that travelling is all about.
I'm getting friendly with the staff who work and live here - one guy spent 6 months straight here without returning to the real world. Wonder what or who he's hiding from??! He gave me a cold Corona though so I like him.
Possibly there might be a bus to Shark Bay I can jump on tomorrow morning. That's about 140k away and has a great beach, so maybe there is a lining to this cloud. I'll let you know.
Quick final word about the accommodation here - BASIC. I'm in one of 4 rooms built into a tin portacabin. It will not be hosting any cat swinging contests if you know what I mean. It's tiny but clean enough and the showers are just metres away in the next door portacabin. Think I'll treat myself in Exmouth and get ensuite.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's all good character building and proof that behind every successful man is a woman!!! Good that you have maintained your sense of humour and the trip is proving to be everything you hoped it would be, well almost! mum x

Anonymous said...

Are you sure that you haven't stumbled across Wolf Creek Juice!?

Sam and Andy said...

Is that a flim Caz? I haven't seen it, but stop trying to freak me out! I got away in one piece.