Monday 28 May 2007

Exmouth at last

After a good night's sleep at the Overland - good cos it is so isolated and empty I worried about being robbed in the night! - and a hearty breakfast from the staff (my newest friends) I tried to hitch a lift to Exmouth. It was either that or wait all day in a petrol station forecourt until 8.30pm for the bus.
My search started badly as it was all really old retires turning up in their RVs and caravans, no thanks. Other guys turned up with fishing gear, singlets & moustaches - no way I was sharing a ride with them, I'd probably end up as bait!!
To make things worse I had my north & south mixed up so cars pulling into the garage on their way to Exmouth I actually thought were heading south to Perth so didn't even consider asking. The car of 3 young girls was the best opportunity that I let slip by...
At about 2pm my luck turned. The roadhouse owners daughter arrived and was going to Exmouth so the staff introduced us and she was normal and more importantly happy to take me with her. She had just got back from Nepal with her Mum and dropped off her Mum at the roadhouse then heading back to her boyfriend in Exmouth. She was very friendly and I got all the gossip on Exmouth town life and some good tips on what to do and see.
What a result! So I arrived last night at 7pm rather than at 5am this morning on the Greyhound.

I tried to get on a whale shark boat this morning but they were fully booked, so I'm signed up for tomorrow then a 2 dive trip to the reef on Wednesday. I'll post photos as soon as I can.
Today I'm hiring a bike and riding 14k to Bundegi beach which is supposed to be much nicer than the town beach. Plus good snorkelling from the beach.

No comments: