Sunday 17 June 2007

Great Barrier Reef

My first experience of the Great Barrier Reef was good and bad.
Good because the colourful corals and abundance of fish were fantastic, also the boat I lived on for 4 days - Reef Encounter - had great crew, good food & a comfortable living area.
But bad because the sun never came out, it was windy & rainy which meant the boat was restricted to more sheltered parts of the reef and I spent most time on the same part. Luckily I wasn't effected by sea sickness - my sea legs must have come from my granddad's DNA as he was in the Navy during WWII!
I'm glad I went though, I did 13 dives in my time on board and completed my Advanced diver course which means I am now able to dive to greater depths. Doing that many dives in succession really increases your confidence and ability & I've noticed my buoyancy and navigation skills improving.
Having said that about my diving skills, I did manage to get stung by the slightest touch of my big toe on some fire coral - it stings man!! A blister forms and pops and it's still healing days later.
I met some cool people including a 50 year old guy from North Carolina. He was an instructor and technical diver with quite some experience - he did over 200 dives in 2006 alone!! It was good to pick up a bit of knowledge from him.

Here are a few photos, but I didn't always take my camera out when doing the Advanced course dives or when the light was poor. The camera also can't capture the extent and colours of some of the coral gardens I saw, they were spectacular and cos they were not in deep water the sunlight made then shine.

Great Barrier Reef

No comments: