Thursday 2 August 2007

Queenstown - Lake Tekapo

I wouldn't normally include a blog posting for every leg of my journey, but there are so many panoramic scenes driving through the mountains that I think they are worth showing.

It was the sunniest nicest day I've had in NZ so far, long may it continue as I head North to the warmer climate.

Queenstown to Lake Tekapo (pronounced 'take-a-poo') was about 250 kms through Cromwell, Omarama (where I had my lunch in a car park), into Twizel to use the ATM, past Lake Pukaki (another of those fabulous reflecting ones with Mt Cook in the background) and finally Lake Tekapo. The one sight-seeing thing I did was to check out the Church of the Good Shepherd on the lake. Quite a stunning setting. Also there was a statue to the loyal border collie, in honour of the dogs' tireless work in shepherding. Here here.

I found a camp site on the lake and could look out to the lake and the mountains from my camper van bed! The sunrise was special.

[Note: my pronunciation above of Tekapo was not the truth!]

Queenstown - Lake Tekapo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good use of paroramic! Father will be proud!