Friday 3 August 2007

Kaikoura - Nelson

Kaikoura - Nelson


Another beautiful day for a drive. Finally got on the road (after having to turn back cos I left my milk in the holiday park's fridge!) for a wicked brunch at a road side cafe called The Store, recommended by Lonely Planet & they were very right.

Made it to Picton by lunch. Picton is where the ferry to Wellington departs. I found a dive shop by the quay and enquired about a wreck dive. I'm signed up to go on Monday, fingers crossed the weather behaves. See details of the wreck I cut & paste below:

The Mikhail Lermontov is one of the BIGGEST diveable cruise shipwreck in the world. Only the Empress of Ireland (resting at 150Ft) & the Titanic are bigger. This 175 metre Russian cruise ship sank in 1986, trying to navigate the passage between a lighthouse and Cape Jackson. The wounded ship managed to make it into Port Gore, before losing power and sinking in the middle of the bay unable to make the beach. All passengers escaped by lifeboat.

Once I knew the dive was Monday I decided to head to Nelson for the weekend. The Queen Charlotte Drive between Picton & Nelson is absolutely stunning. Twistier that a twisty twisted thing! Really fun driving even in my boat of a van (if that makes sense!). It winds along the coast of the Marlborough Sounds for about 25 kms and the views are panoramic to say the least.

No comments: