Sunday 29 July 2007

Wanaka - Queenstown

Wanaka - Queenstown


It was a shame to leave the beautiful town and lake of Wanaka, but the open road was calling me and my van!

I decided to take the shorter but much more scenic route to Queenstown along the mountain road via Cardrona. It was truly stunning and the views along the valley after I had passed the ski fields were awesome (see photos). Luckily the weather was fine as a sign at the start of the road said "snow chains must be carried", so the road can get pretty hairy.

Before I got to Queenstown I stopped for coffee at an old gold mining town called Arrowtown, which was very quaint and pretty, surrounded by looming mountains on all sides. For those of you that have been to Clarens in the South African Drakensburg mountains (probably only me & Sam of those reading this!) it reminded me of there, but Clarens was nicer.

I also drove the 45 kms from Queenstown to Glenorchy - another beautiful scenic route. A kiwi friend at Shell (Bella) told me to go here and it was excellent advice. This is Lord of the Rings country apparently. The road winds along the edge of Lake Wakatipu, which itself is surrounded by snowy peaks. Lovely.

No comments: