Saturday 28 July 2007

Fox Glacier to Wanaka

I left Fox bright & early ready for a big day on the road not knowing exactly where I was going to end up. Once again the driving was so picturesque, if I don't drive off the side of road looking at scenery before I leave NZ I will be surprised!

About 60 kms south of Fox I stopped at a salmon farm & cafe. It is in the middle of nowhere but was perfect. The place was empty, had a huge roaring fire and served the best eggs benedict with smoked salmon (instead of ham), made from its own fresh fish. The views over the fish farm were impressive too (see photos), and the cafe was on stilts built above the farm. Very cool.

I stopped at a great look out over Knights Point. Then I drove through Mt Aspiring Scenic Region with more breath-taking views. (I need new words for 'views' and 'scenery' cos I'm getting fed of repeating them!) Along the way I stopped to look at Thunder Creek Falls, Fantail Falls and Blue Pools - all with lovely short walks and nature at its best (see photos).

It was between Fantail Falls and Blue Pools that I had a hairy moment on the road. A car went past me on the other side and threw up a rock at my windscreen. It hit high on the driver's side and felt to me like a bullet and sounded like a bomb! The boulder almost went clean through the windscreen - it would have given me a nice side parting!! - glass shards covered my fleece and jeans. Needless to say I kept calm and in control, slowly pulled the car over to the side of the road, got out to survey the damage, then peed my pants.

Now I'm in Wanaka (the town beside the lake of the same name). I'm hanging here for the afternoon to do internet things and laundry. It's a nice town, very pretty and much livelier than Fox village was. This is a small ski resort, so lots of holiday makers. Tomorrow I head to Queenstown to get extreme!

Fox - Wanaka

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always been a fan of the term "vista". And if you throw in the word "panoramic" I'm sure you'll bring a smile to Dad's lips...

Bro

Sam and Andy said...

Good work bro, cheers